Statement of Intent
This is the health and safety policy statement of Portslade Hedgehoppers.
Our health and safety policy is to:
- Prevent avoidable accidents;
- Manage health and safety risks in our organised events;
- Provide clear instructions and information to ensure run leaders are competent to lead runs;
- Implement emergency procedures, including evacuation when located inside, in case of fire or other significant incident;
- Review and revise this policy regularly.
Responsibilities for Health and Safety
The overall and final responsibility for health and safety lies with the Committee.
The responsibility for ensuring this policy is put into practice depends on the activity.
- Tuesday run groups – run leaders;
- Thursday training – the leader in attendance;
- Ad hoc runs – the organiser;
- Events – Race Director.
Maintenance or Improvement of Policy
To ensure the health and safety standards are maintained / improved, the following will apply:
- The run director appointed for each major event (HH5, Club handicap, Southdown 10 etc) will ensure that risk assessments have been carried out and public liability insurance has been procured as appropriate;
- The Welfare Officer(s) to ensure that First Aid training is provided from time to time to members;
- The Club Secretary to ensure accidents are reported and recorded;
- The organiser of any indoor events will ensure escape routes are well signed and kept clear at all times, making reasonable adjustments to ensure inclusivity.
- Risk assessments will be carried out before major events;
- Training on risk assessments to be provided on a needs basis.